Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Forever "The Dude"

I'll admit that I'm happy for Jeff Bridges. After all these years and all those movies, he did deserve to finally win an Academy Award. I didn't see the movie, but I've read that the award can be looked at as more of a Lifetime Achievement honor than actually being the best lead actor. He played an aging country singer in the movie, Crazy Heart, that landed him the hardware – but he will forever be associated with El Duderino. The Big Lebowski made him someone of notoriety in my movie-watching mind. And he'll be remembered for much longer into the future for that role than the one that got the golden naked guy. To this day I can't understand my obsession with The Big Lebowski (future blog entry?), but it's obviously a movie of great popularity, witnessed through its cult-like following (see Lebowski Fest, which is next in Los Angeles, April 2-3). For now, I'll just continue to enjoy the hijinks of The Dude, Walter and Donnie with the fandamonium.

No comments: