Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mayhem in the Bronx

I'm an Angels fan, let me lay that out there before anything else is said. When the Angels and Yanks met in the ALCS, I wore my Angel hat with pride, dealing with the dirty looks and pissy comments. Once the Yanks took the series, my interest in the playoffs waned. I tuned into a few games because it's the World Series, but since I was no longer emotionally invested, it didn't matter much.

But when the Phillies took Game 5, and the Yankees had the chance to close it out at home (come on, we all knew they weren't losing Game 6), I figured I should consider going up to the scene to take it all in. I was at my apartment working on some reading, debating whether I wanted to venture out, in the case that they lost. But Matsui hit the second-inning bomb and I knew it was over. So I jumped on the subway and ventured up to the new, over-priced, cracked-concreted House that The Boss (or Jeter or Rivera or Matsui) built. And I'm glad I did, because it was madness.

And I'm glad I left the Angel hat at home, because the fans were rowdy.

The bars across the street were jammed, with crowds peering through the windows just to keep track of the score. A bigger crowd was gathered outside Gate 6 of the stadium, watching the jumbo screen inside through the splits in the stadium exterior. Signs were present, flags were waving and chanting was non-stop ("Who's your da-ddy?" "De-rek Je-ter!" "Hip, Hip, Jor-ge!" "Phil-lies Su-uck!").

Once Mariano Rivera got Shane Victorino to ground out to Robinson Cano at second base, chaos ensued. I was outside Billy's and the plate-glass windows were immediately streaked with beer and cocktails as drinks flew. The gathering outside roared. I made my way back to the stadium and the crowds were pouring out, spilling into the blocked streets to start the celebration. No fires. No flipped cars. No fights. Just a ton of screaming, photos, chanting, dancing, congo drums, pots and pans clanging, light post climbing, hand slapping, hugs and bootleg merchandise.

It was a good time. Glad I went. Here's the photographic evidence:









GO ANGELS!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

sweet! the flash worked well then, didn't it

Alan said...

awesome shots and piece, dude – they definitely capture the celebration

also, i'd just like to point out that the post-game celebration was just another sign of how classy yankees fans can be. hold the rolled eyes, because i'll be the first to admit: rowdy, sure; irritating at times, certainly. but as you said, no flipped cars, no beaten people, and no riot cops. just an excellent (and intense) good time