Thursday, March 5, 2009

Don't Be Blinded By Ignorance.

Today the decision on Prop 8 goes before the California Supreme Court in order to determine whether the outcome in November, according to some, violates individual rights per the state constitution. Though the hearing hasn't stirred nearly as much civil outcry and interest as the November voting, it is a critical step toward overturning the much-debated issue (which passed with 52% of the vote). 

It may be too little, too late, but I'm hoping that as the issue of Gay Marriage remains in the limelight, supporters of Prop 8 may try to educate themselves on what it is that they are saying (I know, I know, it's a stretch): "We are right, you are wrong, it says so in the Bible!" Um, the same Bible where a man walked on water and another man parts the waters of the Red Sea. 

...eyebrow raise...

Ok, that was a bit of Bible bashing. But come on, this is the 21st Century. Try opening your mind, maybe practice a bit of compassion. Don't be blinded by your ignorance...

Alright, I'll stop there before the rant goes too far. I'm curious to see how today's proceedings play out. 

4 comments:

mikenjamie said...

You may not believe in God and the Bible, but I'll say this......by saying what you have just said, you are criticizing one of the very basic elements of our country's founding. Are you also in favor of taking "In God We Trust" off of our money? Yeah it's the 21st Century, but that doesn't give us the right to change the constitution or the basic principles of our forefathers. There are other countries to live in if anyone doesn't like this one anymore.

Chasen Marshall said...

Our forefathers and their successors also founded and endorsed practices in this country where blacks were slaves, women didn't have the right to vote, and consuming alcohol was illegal. But over time, the country has evolved. People have realized the narrow-mindedness of previous ideas. Gay Rights is just the most recent issue to come into question. I have no qualms with people believing in God, Allah, the spirit of Johnny Ramone or whoever, so long as they realize that it isn't always right to have religion dictate practices in society.

And yes, I favor taking "In God We Trust" off of our currency.

Unknown said...

I would like to shift this debate.

I'll start with a question. Why does the government have anything to do with marriage in the first place?

What I'm saying is that Prop. 8 should be a total non-issue because I don't think that the government (federal, state or local) should recognize the existence of marriage.

If people want to get married, let them have a ceremony that has absolutely nothing to do with the government and call it whatever they want. Why does the government reward people with tax breaks for being married? All that does is cause an incentive to marry somebody for the wrong reason. Neither gay people nor straight people should be given such an incentive.

If people so choose to partake in private contracts with their "spouse" in order to share their assets, by all means, please feel free to do so. But I believe that you should be able to do the same thing with anybody you want...a wife, a husband, a brother, a sister, the homeless lady who lives outside of Starbucks and so on.

Let's face it, everything the government touches, it destroys. So let's consider making sure our personal lives isn't just another governmental casualty.

As for the "In God We Trust" being removed from our money... I really don't care, but to be perfectly honest, I think if Congress has a debate about such a trivial issue anytime in the near future I'll ask that they all get voted out of office (I'm actually for that idea for the most part anyway).

mikenjamie said...

I'm all for less government. I agree that they should not be in our lives at all. I could go with you on the private contract part and leave marriage alone as long as they leave a lot of other things alone too. It can't be selective. I would start with leaving my money alone. I worked hard for it and I already pay enough in tax. Besides, raising our taxes never helped us in that past, so why would it help now. If you don't believe me, look it up. That's just one example. There are many others.